A Woman's Gotta Have it


Of course, T.I., T.I.P., Clifford Harris, whatever you would like to call him, is a rapper, a lyricist, an entertainer, but I would venture to say that during a fairly recent interview he made one of the most profound assertions ever to be made regarding love and relationships. “Its two types of dudes who will never have a problem getting a woman, a man of danger and a man who’s funny. If you can make her safe or make her laugh, or both, you’re good.” Wanting to make sure I got the quote correct, I pulled up the interview, took out my pencil and pad, and watched the clip repeatedly. Oh how I love TI’s Southern pastoral, Oswald Bates-In Living Color, type vibe!

I began to reflect on my past relationships and my desires in a mate. Comical. Check. Risky. Check. Not quite right or parent approved. Check. TI was right. I fit the bill. For some reason, those two things had been extremely appealing to me. And if they had both, even better. I will say that I’ve evolved, a bit, but I would really like to use TI’s philosophy to take up for myself and most women. This is a little different from the old idea that good girls like bad boys, but the underlying reason is the same. Women like a man that makes them feel secure. And this is more than just financial. Most women find comfort in knowing that their man is a “man,” with masculine attributes, confidence, and strength. As we get older, we don’t want the “thugs” that we did back in high school, but we definitely appreciate the men that can get “project-ish” if they need to.

And laughter; nothing is sexier than a man that is funny, but doesn’t try to be. He’s confidently funny, not over doing it, but has a clever sense of humor. He can keep us feeling light-hearted, entertained, and carefree. I sense my perfect boo. Men, if you can provide neither comic relief nor security, I suggest you start investing in a 401K.

1 comments:

MLT said...

Great post!
-Maya T.

August 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Post a Comment