When BMI meets SES


When I was preparing to write this blog entry, I began to reminisce on my old days teaching in Bowen Homes, a housing project in Atlanta that was torn down last year. I remember there being a library, a supermarket, a school, and a community center right there in the midst of the neighborhood. I remember thinking how “sheltered” my students were, because they rarely got out of the hood. Everything that they needed, or so thought, was within walking distance for them.

What brought me to this walk down memory lane was an article that I had read in the Washington Post (WP), called The High Cost of Poverty. The article speaks about how you actually have to be rich, in order to be poor; how it actually is expensive to live in poverty. Because I have lately been “living my life like it’s healthy,” their information about grocery prices and access to quality groceries really struck a chord with me. Were the residents of Bowen Homes, my students, in a similar boat with some of the disenfranchised community members that the article spoke of?

I started to play back the structure of the community, the layout of the surrounding streets. I remember the O.K. Supermarket on the corner, right when you make that right on Wilkes Circle, but I could not remember an actual grocery store. My mind traveled down Donald Lee Hollowell, or Bankhead Highway if you’ve been in Atlanta awhile, Hamilton E. Holmes Drive, and even Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard. I sat there for awhile, trying to will a grocery store into my memory, but nothing. This led me to believe that either most Bowen Homes residents shopped at the O.K. Supermarket, or that they had to drive or ride for miles in order to get to a grocery store.

The WP article claimed that grocery prices are much more expensive in urban areas, and I am sure that we confirm these claims, as we have all had our taste of price gauging. For example, they assert that a loaf of white bread in an urban supermarket might cost $2.99, with wheat costing $3.79. A gallon of milk, which I’m sure is most likely whole, costs $4.99. Conversely, a Safeway in a nearby suburban area basks in cheaper prices. For that same white bread, $1, and $1.19 for the wheat. And instead of $5, the milk costs $3.49. Now these might not reflect the prices near your home, milk is on sale at the Kroger near my house for $1.98, but you get the point. Grocery prices in urban areas are most likely to be more expensive than prices in suburban areas. What ends up happening is that these residents not only spend more money on their groceries, but they end up buying less healthy items for cheaper prices, which contributes to the high levels of obesity in low income areas.

The Office of the Surgeon General released a report in 2001 claimed that women of lower socioeconomic status were 50% more likely to be obese than those with higher socioeconomic status. We know that with obesity come generations of unhealthy living, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and early deaths. People in these communities, somewhat because of access and resources, are set up for an unhealthy lifestyle, which really creates a cycle within the family. A coincidence?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is very important topic. As a public health social worker I've seen this on both sides. You want a population to be healthier but they can't afford it and "the system" is not set up for them to have access to healthier products. Not only is it an issue of grocery stores, it's a matter of the number of fast food restaurants that are placed in those communities instead. So if wheat bread is $3.79 but you can get something off the dollar menu at McDonalds and be a Dollarnaire, what's the choice you make???

August 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM
K.Files said...

Totally agree on both points... Exactly why I'm trying to move off of panola right now!! When I'm at home and hungry at 6 pm I want more options for food than Atlanta's best wings, mcdonalds, burger king, popeyes, and kfc. Lower economic areas get a concentration of these type cheap low quality food places...that only increase health risks that we're already prone to as black people.
It's the same way "they" put title loan, check cashing, and pawn shops all up and through poorer areas.... It's an option for the person that needs quick cash... But really just perpetuates the cycle and continues to harm our community... The same way popeyes biscuits do.

August 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM
Convo said...

Martina - I am so proud of your accuracy on a very relevant medical topic. Add to all that drama lack of access to safe and affordable exercise, lead paint and environmental hazards such as dumping, then you have yourself real enlightenment into the C-O-N-spiracy.

August 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Post a Comment