30 Things That I Know at 30

I turned 30 over a month ago, and with this new age milestone, has come a lot of headaches, heartaches, "ah-haa-ah,"(insert finger pointing and Eddie Murphy makeup here) and "reality of the situation" moments.  Now of course, I haven't learned all of these things in the last month.  It has been at least a decade of lessons or realizations that have inspired this series of blog entries: 30 Things That I Know at 30. I hope you enjoy.

1.  Sometimes, the best thing you can be is selfish.
We've been raised to think that selfishness is a negative thing.  That you should put others before you.  That you should be giving.  That you should sacrifice, almost to a fault.  But at the end of the day, (that's how you know when people are being serious) you can't be selfless all the time.  Selfishness definitely has its place.   I'll admit, this is a hard balance, but I'm learning that few things to the extreme left or right are good.   Cause at the end of the day, most people that you associate with will not love you more than you love yourself.  So do yourself a favor, be selfish sometimes.

2.  You can't plan for everything, but a rough draft is good.  You can revise and edit.
I'm a planner, and that's no lie.  I like to know what I am doing each day.  I'm not that spontaneous.  This is something that I have wanted to work on, to allow myself to be in the moment at times.  I have gotten better, but again, few things to the extreme left or right are good.  Everything shouldn't be planned all the time, on everyday, right down to the minute.  However, walking around all loosey goosey all the time makes you, dare I say it......waste time.  So get some business about yourself, pencil some things in.

3.  Your mind, your thoughts, your opinions, your feelings change often.
This is so the definition of me.  I guess its maturity and exposure that helps with this.  I have had fairly strong opinions of weaves, "nonewfriends," and the state of education, and basically all of those opinions have changed to some extent over the years.  I guess I realize that things aren't black and white.  There are exceptions to every rule.  

4.  Daddy’s little girls have a hard time dating. 
I'm a daddy's little girl (shoutout to all the dads for father's day). I have a high opinion of myself.  I know what I deserve and I know what kind of treatment makes me feel good.  Makes me feel appreciated.  Makes me feel wanted.  I owe so much of that to my dad.  But what's difficult is that most daddy's little girls are spoiled.  Their daddies have, in a purely innocent way, been their daughters' first boyfriends, well almost, you know what I mean.  They have changed their daughters' tire.  They have pumped their gas.  They have opened doors.  They have listened to their daughters' happy moments, ecstatic moments, and sad moments.  When that daddy's girl begins dating, they have this extraordinary level of unconditional love to compare these gentlemen to.  Many men fall short, and the women come up empty.
I'd like your opinion on this...when does this become unrealistic?

5.  Mold is really hard to get out of your clothes.
I hate washing clothes.  I hate washing clothes because I hate folding them, and I hate having to read the directions on how to properly care for the clothes, and I hate having to hang up my bras.  Call me lazy.  I don't care.  But I now realize that washing clothes is no joke.  You have got to be on top of it.  You just can't wash clothes, and eat, sleep, workout, go to the mall, and come back and put the clothes in the dryer.  You literally need to wait for the buzzer to go off.  One unfortunate day, my nephew put a wet washrag in my hamper, and mold grew on one of my favorite shirts from Urban Outfitters!  I soaked it in vinegar, washed it in vinegar, Oxi-Clean, and even switched to Tide for this project.  Still ruined.  Ain't nobody go time for that!

I hope you enjoyed my first entry in this series.  Holla back!

1 comments:

Convo said...

I'm sorry that these feel random, but that's just where I am.

June 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Post a Comment