Not All Mothers Are Created Equal

I'm not the nicest, most considerate person to talk to when it comes to single motherhood.  Maybe it's because I'm not a mother.  Maybe it's because I experience the ramifications of poor parenting and inadequate love each day in my family.  Maybe it's because I see generations of illiteracy walk through my school doors each day.  Whatever the reason, I am not Team Single Mother.  I do not automatically give single mothers a pass.  I do not assume that all single mothers are trying their hardest, and want the best for their kids.  And I don't feel like all single mothers are owed anything.

People are quick to say that being able to reproduce does not make a man a father, but dare I say it, it doesn't make a woman a mother either.  Why should we assume that being a female carries some sort of motherly gene that gets activated when  a woman gives birth?  Let's be clear.  There are some sorry, pathetic mothers out there that have no right giving birth to a dog, let alone a child.  I get tired of hearing single mother mantras and soliloquies, as if it applies to all.  I can't feel sorry for you when you have three kids running behind you, one on the hip, and one that you're expecting.  A handout?  Some help?  Child please.

There are some women that have children for very selfish reasons.  To keep a man.  To be forever connected to a man.  Because babies are so stinking cute.  They make a very linear decision to have a child, without thinking about what it really takes to parent one.  These are the women that get pregnant by men that have fatherless children, but feel that they will have a different experience.  That, for some reason, he'll be a better father for her soon to be fatherless child.  But the cycle continues.  Women have got to think with their brains, not their longing for male attention or to feed their ego or insecurities.  I don't feel sorry for them.  I feel sorry for the children that are born into such foolishness and instability.

And here's my ending preface...I know many excellent single mothers.  This is no disrespect to them.  They have amazing children, with amazing experiences and loving lives.  They look at their motherhood as a gift, rather than a burden.  Cheers to you!  Sing your single mother mantra, but keep the others out of it.

5 comments:

K.Files said...

Well stated per usual.

Signed,
Your biggest fan

September 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Anonymous said...

It seems easy to state obvious facts that there are women/men who have challenges parenting and even 'slip' into the role. I think the challenging and life changing question is what TRULY motivates a woman to have kids in order "keep" a man? What encourages a woman to have a child because it is "cute?" To me, the real challenge is understanding the psyche and coming up with solutions. Not making excuses, but sometimes life and the brain are more challenging than we think…imagine- Could someone imagine that years of breaking down low-income households, lead to generational failures? Could the frustrations of the environment lead to a misguided family thought process? Is it possible to not have a “good” mother, and draw from those (lack of) teachings to become a “good” mother?
I would think this goes with the idea of low-income people living above their means….which probably means he/she never had budgeting experience and an environment that enforced over extension issues.

September 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Convo said...

I somewhat agree, but I don't think that your post, nor my post is the end all be all. I think that insecurities drive much of what happens in the aforementioned situations. I know that people, not just women look anywhere for love. In a child, in a partner, in a career. We are all striving to be connected to someone, something, and it causes us to make poor choices at times. We can say all day that there are societal pressures that cloud judgement. That poor examples of motherhood help to foster further examples of poor motherhood. But I think that would lead us into a circular motion, where we are stating, "If, then," way too much. To be honest, this is just one of the many layers in the problems of the black community specifically. To peel back one layer of this onion, you would have to peel back many more, because its all connected. I can draw light to part of problem without necessarily having a solution, because it is so multidimensional. Keep reading the blog...and keep posting.

September 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hopewell said...

i actually really liked this. VERY provocative!

September 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Tawni said...

LOVE THIS.

September 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Post a Comment